It is not uncommon for many of us to “blow it” over a holiday weekend, but Stretchy-Pants Week doesn’t have to turn into an entire month.
Want to get back on track? Then take a look at the list below.
Here are 5 ways to refocus and recover after a holiday:
- Stop beating yourself up about what you ate, drank, said, did, or didn’t do. It’s a new day. Stop replaying the narratives. Forgive yourself. Breathe. Find the pause button and the reset button.
- Make a short list of what you want this week to look like instead. Do you want to exercise three days this week? Eat better? Get more sleep? Stop stressing over the next holiday? Write down your goals, and be specific. But keep it to three at the most so you don’t get overwhelmed and give up entirely.
- Set yourself up for success. If you want to eat healthier, purge the refrigerator of any leftovers, including the pies, cakes and other sweets. Yes, toss them. Go to the store and buy fresh vegetables, preferably green and non-starchy ones. Only shop around the perimeter of the store, i.e., the fresh foods. Find a new, healthy recipe for those vegetables. If you want to move more, pull together everything that you need to make it happen – shoes, clothes, hat, gloves, yoga mat, gym bag – and put it in a central place so they’re easy to find at your scheduled time.
- Go drink a glass of water. Drink more water than usual the next few days. It flushes toxins and can help you feel full.
- Schedule in some time for you. Make time each morning to meditate and/or for devotional time. Carve out a few moments each day to nourish yourself spiritually and emotionally.
So do you have other tips that help you get back on track? Share them below or in our free Faith and Sweat Facebook group, which you can join by clicking HERE.
Welcome! I’m Amy Hoogervorst, an integrative health coach, offering grace and space for a healthier you. Thanks for reading. If you’d like to receive my periodic updates and blog posts directly in your inbox, please subscribe! Know a friend who would like this? Please share.